Skincare, a popular topic amongst women and more increasingly, men. Taking care of your skin is important and in a way, therapeutic. Knowing and understanding your particular skin type and how it adapts to unfamiliar conditions is a crucial step in taking care of your skin. Spending some time to learn your skin’s specific needs can help you decide the right products. This will result in a healthier and more glowy complexion.
Each individual has a unique skin type, but there are a few common skin types that may help you in finding out where your skin fits in the most.
Determining your skin type
1. The Bare-Faced Method
An easy way to know your skin type is to simply study your own skin. Firstly, wash your face with a cleanser. Then, gently dry your face with a towel and abstain from applying any skincare products. After about 25-30 minutes, pay attention to your skin and see if there’s any difference. If your complexion looks shiny on your cheeks and T-zone, you might have oily skin. If your skin feels tight and appears flaky, your skin is likely dry. If it is a mixture of both oily and dry, you might have combination skin.
2. The Blotting Sheet Method
Another way to know your skin type is to press a clean blotting sheet on different parts of your face. After that, hold the sheet up to a bright area to find out how much oil was soaked. Your skin type is dependent on how much oil can be seen. The more the oil, the more likely you have oily skin. If there is little to no oil visible, you probably have dry skin. If the blotting sheet shows that there is little oil on your forehead to nose, your skin might be normal or combination skin.
- Dry skin
- Oily skin
- Combination skin
- Normal skin
Features of dry skin:
- Pores aren’t very visible
- Dull, rough complexion
- Red patches
- Less elastic skin
- Lines can be seen
Best products for dry skin:
1. Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cleanser
2. COSRX Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence (toner)3. e.l.f. Hydrating serum (serum)
4. CeraVe Moisturizing Cream (moisturizer)
5. Aveeno Protect + Hydrate Face Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50 (sunscreen)
Features of oily skin:
- Visible pores
- Face appears greasy, noticeable shine
- Obvious blackheads, pimples or other blemishes
Best products for oily skin:
1. Neutrogena Oil-free Acne Fighting Face Wash
2. Pixi Glow Tonic (Toner)3. Some by Mi Miracle Serum (serum)
4. COSRX Oil Free Moisturizing Lotion (moisturizer)
5. Avène High Protection Tinted Compact SPF 50 (sunscreen)
Combination skin consists of all kinds of skin types. Some parts of the face might be oily, or dry or normal.
Features of combination skin:
- The T-zone area of the face is usually oily.
- Other areas of the face appear dry.
Best product for combination skin:
1. Origins Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash2. Hada Labo Gokujyun Premium Lotion (toner)3. Timeless Skin Care 20% Vitamin C (serum)4. Sunday Riley Tidal Brightening Enzyme Water Cream (moisturizer)5. Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence Sunscreen SPF 50 (sunscreen)Normal skin
Normal skin is not too dry, not too oily as well.
Features of normal skin:
- Not sensitive
- Smooth complexion
- Almost invisible pores
- Few or no flaws
Best products for normal skin:
1. Dear, Klairs Rich Moist Foaming Cleanser
2. Laneige Essential Power Skin Toner (toner)3. L’Oréal Paris Revitalift Filler Hyaluronic Acid Anti-Wrinkle Serum (serum)
4. Belif The True Cream Moisturizing Bomb (moisturizer)5. Shiseido Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector Broad Spectrum Face Sunscreen SPF 42 (sunscreen)If you have any suggestions on which products work best on your face, comment below!